Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Little Joys of Travel

All day I have been in overdrive.  A million little details had to be attended to before I left school today since I will be out for the next two days.  There were assignments to prep; copies to make; classes to coax, cajole, and caution regarding their assignments and my expectations; loose items to secure or deliver; and instructions and materials to leave in conspicuous places.  After all that was done, I needed to go get my driver's license renewed; my recent birthday had rendered my old one invalid, something that would have made flying tomorrow difficult to say the least.  I checked my online reservation, found a snag, called and worked through it, and finally I have a moment now to sit.

It's been hectic, but tomorrow when I'm in DC, all the whirlwind will be only a memory.  There is always this big disturbance to routine before a journey, but nobody ever remembers it once the trip actually begins.  This is going to be such a good experience, both because of the chance to be in Washington with all its cultural richness and because it represents the next stage in a program that has already been incredibly rich already.

I'll rest here a few moments and then get up and finish the last of the pre-trip tasks, put things in the suitcases after taking cats out, make sure my music is on my iPhone, be sure my Kindle is all charged up for the inevitable layover in Atlanta, the purgatory of air travel.  Suddenly, all of the preparation will be done, and there I'll be.  I am looking forward to it, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment